Friday, October 29, 2010

My Daddy Was a Fly Boy

My Daddy Was a Fly Boy
October was an important month to me.  It was my parents wedding anniversary and the month my father was reporting missing in action.  Here is a poem I wrote about my mom and dad.

My Daddy was a fly boy
My Mom an Army nurse
They met back in the second war
When the world was at its worse

She was stationed in the Philippians
He was stationed in the air
They somehow found each other
And became a loving pair

They were married in October
When the war was through
She planned to raise a family
And that’s just what she would do

And he kept right on flying
Then Korea came around
He said my place is in the air
Not down here on the ground

So she stayed safely grounded
While he flew off to war
And in-between those secrete flights
Came children numbered four

Then one night in October
His plane did not return
They searched his route from end to end
Yet nothing could they learn

No oil slick upon the sea
No debris anywhere
No sign of him or of his plane
He just vanished from the air

But Mom, she never gave up hope
That someday he’d be found
She waited for her fly-boy
Till she was heaven bound

We pray they’re back together
As true lovers all should be
And that they go on loving
For all eternity

Yes - my Daddy was a fly boy
Back in the 2nd war
We lost him in Korea
When I was only four
My Momma was an Army nurse
Served in the Philippians
They married when the war was ‘ore
Fulfilling perfect dreams

Mdailey 12/29/09

No comments:

Post a Comment